Cheddar Potato Pierogi
Dough (makes roughly 8 dozen):
6 cups of flour
1.5 cups boiling water
.5 cup cold water
1 teaspoon oil
1. Sift the flour into a bowl.
2. Pour in the boiling water and stir with a fork. Cover with a towel for 5 minutes.
3. Pour in the cold water and stir with a fork. Cover with a towel for 15 minutes.
4. Add in the oil and knead for 5-10 minutes.
5. Cut the dough into 8 pieces and run through the pasta roller as follows. (Or roll by hand to desired thickness)
Twice on setting 1
Once on setting 2
Once on setting 3
3.5 pounds of potatoes
1/2 large onion
8 ounces shredded cheddar
1. Boil the potatoes until fork tender.
2. Dice the onion and sweat them in a bit of butter.
3. Mash the potatoes with the onions and cheese. Salt and pepper to taste.
1. Cut the rolls of dough with a 3″ biscuit cutter. Save the leftovers and roll them out for more pierogi pieces.
2. Fill the dough, fold over, wet the bottom edge of the dough slightly and pinch with your fingers. Finish the seal with a fork.
1. Boil in salted water until they float, plus a few extra minutes until soft.
2. Finish in skillet to lightly brown/crisp both sides, sauted with butter and onion.
1. Boil in salted water until just floating.
2. Pull immediately and set into cold/ice water.
3. Leave to cool on lined tray.
4. Freeze on tray for an hour or two, then bag and store.
5. Frozen pierogi should be boiled until soft and then finished in a skillet. Dough is quite sturdy.